Membership of RSAI is normally obtained through membership of a local Section.
A member of a local section is automatically a member of RSAI, ie if the respective local section is recognized by RSAI.
RSAI comprises superregional associations which, in turn, comprise affiliated local sections/associations. The four superregional organizations recognized by RSAI are:
- The European Regional Science Association (ERSA), comprising sections in the European realm;
- The North American Regional Science Council (NARSC), comprising sections from North America;
- The Pacific Regional Science Conference Organization (PRSCO), comprising sections in Asia (East, South East and South), Australasia and the Pacific Rim facing parts of the Americas;
- The Latin American and Caribbean Regional Science Association (LACRSA), comprising sections from Latin America and the Caribbean.
Superregional organizations shall actively promote the establishment of affiliated sections/ associations within their territory of responsibility.
The membership of the section shall be renewed annually by payment of dues. This may be through a capitation levied on a section and/or collected through one of the superregional organizations established by the Association. If a member shall fail to pay dues within six months after the date of official renewal notice, the membership shall be considered terminated and the name shall be removed from the roster of members.
RSAI membership has its benefits and privileges, including:
- Right to vote for representation of the Council of the Regional Science Association International
- Eligibility for awards of RSAI
- Discounted registration fees at conferences organized by RSAI, NARSC, ERSA, PRSCO, and LACRSA
- RSAI newsletter
- Participation in and access to a worldwide network of 4500 regional scientists
- Complimentary electronic access to the two journals of RSAI, Papers in Regional Science, and Regional Science Policy and Practice. Access to these journals is possible through your RSAI member access portal.
- Complimentary electronic access to the following journals, Journal of Regional Science, Growth and Change, Geographical Analysis and International Journal of Urban and regional Research. Access to these journals is possible through your RSAI member access portal.
RSAI Journals - discounted Article Publication Charge for RSAI members
According to the new agreement (effective 1st January 2019) with John Wiley & Sons, Inc., the published Article Publication Charges (APC) for the RSAI Journals (PIRS & RSPP) have been revised to USD2,500 / GBP1,650 / EUR2,100.
An APC is the fee payable by authors if they wish to make their article open access immediately under a CC-BY licence. In addition, we are also delighted to offer a 40% discount off the APC rate for RSAI members.
With the discount, RSAI members will enjoy the following APC rates if they wish to make their article published in PIRS and/or RSPP open access: USD1,500 / GBP990 / EUR1,260
It’s important to make the distinction that the APC discount is a benefit for RSAI members (not PIRS and RSPP authors), and is applicable only for articles published in PIRS and/or RSPP.
In exceptional circumstances direct individual membership may be considered by the Executive Director (50€ per member), ie for example if there is no section in the country of the individual candidate member.
New Individual RSAI member appliance form:
(it will be send an email directly from PayPal, up to 3 days after the submission of the form)