The Martin Prosperity Institute at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto is happy to announce the availability of one or more post-doc positions. Flexibility of research topics is available. Recent (or soon to be recent) PhDs are encouraged to apply.
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship(s)
The Martin Prosperity Institute
Joseph L. Rotman School of Management,
University of Toronto
Ranked as one of the top 15 business schools in North America by The Financial Times, the Joseph L. Rotman School of Management has set out to redesign business education for the 21st century through an innovative approach to management education, built around Integrative Thinking(tm) and Business Design(tm).
The mission of the Martin Prosperity Institute is to be the world's leading think-tank on the understanding and enhancement of jurisdictional advantage and regional prosperity. It is becoming clearer that the sources of economic growth and prosperity in the world are increasingly placed-based and regional in nature. Where previous theories of growth have been based upon the nation-state, the MPI develops new theories, research and metrics for both the global location of economic activity and the role of global mega-regions in economic prosperity. The primary focus is on helping regions achieve the advantage and prosperity potential they hold by thinking and acting systematically regarding jurisdictional advantage. It conducts consequential and relevant research, which shapes the ongoing debate over economic prosperity and informs private, public and civic decision-making at the highest levels. Many of the individual pieces of the prosperity puzzle have been and continue to be studied intensively. However there is a striking lack of integration between the various independently-studied dimensions of prosperity and the factors that increase regional prosperity, and this lack of integration creates significant theoretical and practical problems.
One or more positions are available. Positions will be filled based on candidate qualifications and research interests. Preference will be given to outstanding candidates whose research interests best complement the current research of the Institute.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Day to day management of a limited number of research projects.
- Preparation of articles for consideration in referred journals.
- Participation in proposal grant-writing activities, including identifying funding sources and RFPs, conducting literature reviews, developing research questions, and designing research methods and data collection procedures.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations at relevant conferences and to policy-making bodies and professional organizations.
- Work with graduate and undergraduate assistants, full-time research staff and faculty on various research projects.
- Analysing data using appropriate statistical, GIS, and other software.
- Preparing reports, timelines, and other documents as needed for the efficient operation of the research.
- Preparation and deliver of policy-maker focused "white papers" based on own research or related research completed by others.
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicants should have relevant research experience, and hold, or obtain shortly, a PhD in business, economics, geography or a related field. Demonstrable ability with research project management is desirable. Suitable qualified applicants who have achieved the PhD degree within five years and who have not yet held any permanent professional post, specifically as an academic, are especially encouraged to apply. (Existing faculty, who are interested, are encouraged to contact the Martin Prosperity Institute and discuss other options.) This position will be filled for a one-year term (either academic or calendar is negotiable) and holds the possibility for renewal for one additional year. Additional renewal would be subject to the applicant obtaining appropriate funding.
We invite applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds with appropriate experience and skills. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Applicants must comply with the University's approved policies, procedures and practices for postdoctoral positions.